Support VWWC

Thread: DSG Gearbox Click/Clunk 3rd-2nd

Users Country Flag

DSG Gearbox Click/Clunk 3rd-2nd

Hi guys,

I recently picked up a second had Golf TDI about a week ago. All week I've been enjoying driving the Golf and so far I'm really enjoying the DSG and diesel combination!

Last night driving home I noticed something different to what was normally happening. So far the gearbox has been smooth, silky and changes without so much as making a peep.

Last night however, when I was slowing down, I noticed a slight clunk as the car was downshifting from 2nd to 3rd and sometimes from 2nd to 1st when coming to a complete stop.

I took it out for a drive again today (after emptying my boot, as I thought it may have been my tools rolling around) and it does it intermittently. It still feels smooth to drive and doesn't lag, shudder, hesitate, or anything like that, but the slight clunk can be felt through the floor of the car and doesn't seem right. It definitely hasn't done this before, well at least in the week that I've owned the car and the couple of times I test drove it before.

I'm really nervous now, as this car is a 2006 model, so out of warranty, and everywhere I read it suggests that a clunk in the gearbox is a sign of the DSG failing which = $$$$'s

It's done around 71,000kms and has always been dealer serviced. I also made sure that it had the 60,000km DSG service, where they changed the gearbox oil etc.

Is it happening when cold, or only when the engine is hot? And does it happen in reverse?

Users Country Flag Thread Starter
    both times when I started noticing it doing it was when the engine was fully warmed up. Even when cold, it hasn't done anything like this before. When cold I have noticed it not quite as 'smooth' as when warmed up, but definitely no clunking going on.

It's very intermittent. Today when I took it out for a drive it was completely fine all the way until the very last point when I turned into my destination. Last night it happened a few times when slowing down at a set of lights or to turn, but didn't happen all the time.

Haven't noticed anything in reverse yet, but haven't reversed too much, so hard to tell. I only reversed out of a parking spot today and didn't notice any clunking then. Might take the car out again and give it another go.

Users Country Flag
    Looseness/clunkiness in what seems like the transmission can sometimes be mistaken for looseness/play in the half shafts (ie. driveshafts), worn engine/transmission mounts, or worn suspension components (such as control arm bushings, etc.).

If you find that the behaviour changes when the car is cold vs warm; this could indicate a degradation in the lubrication system, whether the transmission fluid is contaminated, or if the level is not correct etc.

I would start with trying out the cheap things first like a fluid change (I know it's not "cheap" but cheaper than a transmission I guess and it can't hurt to try).

oh okay....that could be possible. The gearbox oil was changed at the 60,000km service (now at 71,000km) and it's been fine since then, but I guess it doesn't hurt to maybe flush it again.

The sound does seem to come from the front/engine bay, but because I feel it through the brake pedal and it occurs at the same time it downshifts from 3rd to 2nd or 2nd to first, it's what had me thinking it was the transmission. It's possible that it's just a coincidence that it occurs at that time.

Where does the gearbox sit physically in terms of the car floor?? Is it directly under the gear-stick/center console? more towards the front or back? etc

Also, because I hear of the horror stories with the DSG gearbox failing, I automatically assume the worst :p
    Last edited by dbun; 30-10-2010 at 09:46 PM.

Users Country Flag
    It is more or less under the gear-stick; I find it odd that you can feel it through your brake pedal however. Also, is it more of a "clunk" or a "click"; and does it cause any sudden jerks in the motion of the vehicle? If it's a loud/boomy "clunk" noise along with a sudden jolt/backlash of the drivetrain/vehicle then it does sound a transmission related symptom.

It might also be worth pulling your battery to reset the onboard computers which control the engine/transmission as it "develops" its behaviour over time based on what it thinks is ideal for your car and your driving rituals/habits/routines. Make sure you've got your radio code handy so you don't lock that out.

Also, try doing the shift manually to see if you can replicate it more readily (ie. try downshifting from 3rd to 2nd at a variety of speeds/brake load conditions, uphill/downhill etc.) to see if you can establish a pattern.

It's more of a 'click' than a 'clunk'. It's not violent or jerky at all. The car keeps going on as smoothly as before.

Actually, if it been doing it since I'd taken the car over and it was across all gears, I'd think it was a completely normal 'click' of the transmission changing gears.

It's the fact that it's never done it before and only does it on the 3rd-2nd or 2nd-1st down-shift that has me questioning it. It's never made the noise on the up-shift or on any other gear changes, only ever on the down shift intermittently.

It may not be coming directly through the brake pedal, it's just the fact that because I'm braking at the time my foot is on the brake pedal. It may coming through the floor, but because I'm braking at the time, I feel it through the brake pedal, if that makes sense.

got no idea what it was.

I took it out for a drive today somewhere and on the way there and back I tried to replicate the 'clicking' noise I heard and felt the two times before. No matter what I did I could not replicate the noise.

I drove in normal 'D' mode as I normally did.....nothing
    Chucked it in 'S' mode and let it rip.......nothing
    Chucked it in 'Manual' mode and shifted through the gears and even downshifted as aggressively as the car would let me (as the DSG won't let you over-rev the car) and still nothing.

I'm pretty convinced my DSG is safe (for now anyway), as no matter what I did, the gearbox was as silky smooth and as quite as normal. I'll keep an ear out for it, but for now, I'm pretty satisfied it's nothing major going wrong.

Users Country Flag
    Quote Originally Posted by dbun View Post
    got no idea what it was.

I took it out for a drive today somewhere and on the way there and back I tried to replicate the 'clicking' noise I heard and felt the two times before. No matter what I did I could not replicate the noise.

I drove in normal 'D' mode as I normally did.....nothing
    Chucked it in 'S' mode and let it rip.......nothing
    Chucked it in 'Manual' mode and shifted through the gears and even downshifted as aggressively as the car would let me (as the DSG won't let you over-rev the car) and still nothing.

I'm pretty convinced my DSG is safe (for now anyway), as no matter what I did, the gearbox was as silky smooth and as quite as normal. I'll keep an ear out for it, but for now, I'm pretty satisfied it's nothing major going wrong.
    That's good to hear; I guess one thing to mention is that at the end of the day; it is still a mechanical device composed of dozens of moving parts - electronic control has come a long way, but 100% consistency under all conditions is still difficult to achieve.

Quote Originally Posted by DNA Tuning View Post
    That's good to hear; I guess one thing to mention is that at the end of the day; it is still a mechanical device composed of dozens of moving parts - electronic control has come a long way, but 100% consistency under all conditions is still difficult to achieve.
    too true.....quite possible it was just a once of thing, who knows.

Either way...thanks heaps for the replies and support!!