Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Battery standby current

Battery standby current

Has anybody measured the current that is consumed by the car from battery when it's locked and bonnet is open? I just got a new battery drained over weekend and then with the old one I measured standby current after 1h when all modules suppose to go to sleep mode. It was 0.77 A which I think is 10 times higher than normal rate. Someone was saying in mkV forums that it should be under 70mA.
    I checked - no leakage in alternator, when engine is on - battery negative to chassis is 0V, no AC across the battery - diodes are OK, battery charge voltage: 13.8-14.5V.
    I guess the next step is pulling fuses one by one..
    2005 Golf V 2.0TDi DSG U/Grey S/roof - SOLD

I found the procedure Tech Tip: Volkswagen Diagnosis for Excessive Static Current Draw need to wait for 2 hours!

Users Country Flag
    Important thing is to close the bonnet as the article says. Otherwise here is the link for similar in our forum. http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/f136...tml#post393486
    0.7A current draw is too high on our Golf it is less than 20mA after short time.

Done 2.5 hour test, battery is still supplying current at the same rate 0.7A, checked mV across fuses under the bonnet - 4-5 fuses together combine around 0.3A which make me think that ECU is not going to sleep mode...damn will cost a fortune to replace, though I have to check if alternator or starter motor solenoid connection faulty but the battery gets charged, so unlikely ...have to check fuses inside on the driver side

Quote Originally Posted by HiTorque View Post
    Done 2.5 hour test, battery is still supplying current at the same rate 0.7A, checked mV across fuses under the bonnet - 4-5 fuses together combine around 0.3A which make me think that ECU is not going to sleep mode...damn will cost a fortune to replace, though I have to check if alternator or starter motor solenoid connection faulty but the battery gets charged, so unlikely ...have to check fuses inside on the driver side
    Why does it have to have anything to do with the ECU?

Find what circuit is drawing the power and go from there. Have you scanned the car with vagcom/VCDS to see if there are any faults? Check everything is coded correctly as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
    Important thing is to close the bonnet as the article says.
    I left bonnet opened, now I see, but how on earth can I get current clamp output to the meter? I have Fluke...dammit!

Guest Guest
    0.040amps is prob the best when the CAN-BUS has totally gone to sleep
    Does it have a non genuine radio keeping CAN awake
    Also the Gateway has the ability to keep the CAN-BUS awake
    Door control modules can keep it awake too
    Are you doing test with bonnet latch closed/all doors shut and locked?
    Last edited by Guest; 10-06-2010 at 07:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HiTorque View Post
    I'd get one (or more) of the plug in fuse replacements that have a remote lcd, plug them in to a few locations and position the lcd's so they're visible and lock the car up. Jaycar sell them IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by VWweirdo View Post
    0.040amps is prob the best when the CAN-BUS has totally gone to sleep
    Does it have a non genuine radio keeping CAN awake
    Also the Gateway has the ability to keep the CAN-BUS awake
    Door control modules can keep it awake too
    Are you doing test with bonnet latch closed/all doors shut and locked?
    I did the test with opened bonnet as I didn't know it has a status sensor (?), but all doors and trunk closed, locked with remote, 12V power sockets empty.
    The fuse test under the bonnet after 2.5h wasn't conclusive, but found F24 (10A - Data Bus on Board Diagnostic Module) - 160mA, F31 (30A-Windshild wiper motor) 60mA, F16 (15A -Steering Column Control Module) - 90mA, F3 (20A - Comfort System Central Control Module) up to 90mA. This is why I thought it's still awake. My fuse location map is not quite correct though, I found revision from Oct 2005, my car manufactured before March 2005. Has anybody got a link to fuse maps for all models? VW Golf manual doesn't have references to all fuses. I don't have any electrical mods, non-standard accessories etc
    Last edited by HiTorque; 10-06-2010 at 09:30 AM.

I did more testing with brand new battery (12.77V) and closed bonnet. It looks like car wasn't in sleep mode as battery voltage dropped overnight to 12.55V. I wonder if any particular module is responsible for "sleep" activation or any electrically monitored switches are not working like bonnet or trunk. I don't have VAGCOM but three multimeters and Fluke clamping current probe with a lead to meter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast